Yamaha R15 New Review
Refreshing & StylishFriday, January 04, 2013
Overview of 2011 Yamaha YZF-R15
Yamaha's YZF-R15 was the 1st Indian bike designed in the true supersport image. Yamaha India has now took a step further with the launch of all-new 2011 model of Yamaha YZF-R15, which has been priced at Rs. 1.07 lakhs. This price is ex-showroom price in New Delhi. 2011 Yamaha YZF-R15 R15 was expected to be launched in April 2011, then there were rumours that it will be launched in July, finally the speculations have come to an end, Yamaha YZF-R15 version 2.0 is here. But negative aspect is that New YZF-R15's technical specifications are exactly the same in comparison to 2010 model of YZF-R15, only the kerb weight of bike has increased from 131 kgs to 136 kgs.
According to Yamaha India while maintaining the proven ease of handling of the YZF-R15 version 1.0, the 2011 YZF-R15 boasts of spruced up looks and better performance in circuit riding. The design elements have been borrowed from the supersport model YZF-R1 that is adapted from YZR-M1 MotoGP race machine. The 2011 YZF-R15 has undergone changes as compared to the 2010 model of YZF-R15 in the specs of the Engine Control unit (ECU), drivetrain unit, a long aluminum swing arm, wider front and rear tires (radial tire for the rear), split seat, LED taillights and new-design middle cowl & tail cowl.
Update: Limited Edition Fiery Red R15 and 50th Anniversary Limited Edition Launched
- Yamaha R15 Limited Edition Fiery Red
- Yamaha R15 50th Anniversary Limited Edition
Yamaha R15 Limited Edition Fiery Red has been painted in a striking red shade with flame decals on both sides. Yamaha R15 50th Anniversary Red & White is inspired from the anniversary editions of Yamaha YZF-R1, R6 and R125 and looks awesome in red and white. The As per the company both the bikes are very exclusive and only 4000 units will be manufactured. Yamaha R15 50th Anniversay is priced at Rs. 1.11 lakh (ex-showroom New Delhi) and the Fiery Red Limited Edition R15 is priced at Rs. 1.10 lakhs (ex-showroom New Delhi).
Fast Facts About 2011 Yamaha YZF-R15
- 149.8cc 4-stroke liquid-cooled engine
- Maximum power is 16.8 bhp (17 PS)
- Maximum torque is 15 nm at 7500 rpm
- Seat height is now 790mm from 800mm
- Is available in four shades: Red, Blue, Green and Black
- Wheelbase is now 1290mm from 1345mm
- First 150cc Indian bike to feature aluminium swingarm
- Price is Rs. 1,07,000 (Ex-showroom New Delhi)
Shades Available in 2011 Yamaha YZF-R15
- Racing Blue
- Thundering Green
- Invincible Black
- Raring Red
2013 model of Yamaha YZF-R15 is available in four shades: Racing Blue, Invincible Black, Thundering Green and Raring Red.
What's New in 2011 Yamaha YZF-R15
- All new design for engine fairing, new design for alloy wheels
- Split seat which is now better cushioned, new graphics and decals
- Fat rear tyre - 130/70 - R17, bigger 220mm rear disc for better braking
- All-new LED tail lamp which looks much better than 2010 model of YZF-R15
- New ECU mapping for better pick-up and fuel efficiency
- Weight increased by 5kgs (now it weighs 136kgs)
- New design for saree guard and mudguard (not cool, looks very ugly)
- New design for the silencer/exhaust pipe
Engine of 2011 New Yamaha YZF-R15
- 149.8cc liquid-cooled engine, maximum power is 16.8 bhp (17 PS) with maximum torque is 15 nm
2011 Yamaha YZF-R15 features the 149.8cc engine which generates maximum power of 16.8 bhp (17 PS) at 8500 rpm with maximum torque of 15 nm at 7500 rpm. This is really sad because Yamaha fans were waiting for this bike from almost 10-12 months and it was expected that it will generate maximum power of 20-22 bhp but Yamaha Motor India has kept the specs same in comparison to 2010 model of YZF-R15.
Design and Styling of 2011 Yamaha YZF-R15
- All-new LED tail lamp cluster, new engine cowl/
- New step-up seat, all-new black alloy wheels
- New rear fender and tyre hugger, sportier riding position
- Fat rear tyre 130/70 R17, 4% less aerodynamic drag
Viewed from the side, the shape of 2011 Yamaha YZF-R15 created by the side panel and the upper surface of the tank creates an impression of the center of gravity shifting to the front tyre. A characteristic of the R-series is that, when you view the machine, you get a sense of its concept and performance. For example, Yamaha YZF-R1 shows a strong body line that springs up in a single line from the rear axle to the pivot and then to the head pipe. This is a visual expression of the straight shape of the Deltabox frame. These elements are a visual expression of “frame rigidity.” This philosophy has been fully transmitted to 2011 Yamaha YZF-R15. It features all-new LED tail light cluster, new engine cowl, new step-up seat, all-new black finish alloy wheels and new rear fender and tyre hugger. All design changes looks very cool except the ugly looking rear mud guard and saree guard.
Instrument Cluster of 2011 Yamaha YZF-R15
- Same digital-analogue console from 2010 model of YZF-R15
It was expected that changes will be made to the instrument cluster and more modern and better looking console will be introduced with the launch of 2011 YZF-R15 but company has made no changes to it. It is same analogue-digital combo. The digital screen is white backlit which looks very cool especially at night, it is flanked by a analogue tachometer on the right side.
Price of 2011 Yamaha YZF-R15
- Rs. 1,07,000
2011 Yamaha YZF-R15 is priced at Rs. 1.07 lakhs. This price is ex-showroom price in New Delhi, which is a little bit on the higher side in comparison to 2010 model of YZF-R15.