Piaggio Vespa LX 125 Review
Piaggio is back with Vespa LX125Wednesday, January 09, 2013
Piaggio, a company which officially introduced scooters in India may not be known much by our youth but our elder generation knows it really well. Once again they are ready with their iconic Vespa for India and aims to create a new segment of scooters in our market. Piaggio has slashed the price of Vespa LX125 by INR 7000 to make it more affordable and boost the overall sales in India.
Piaggio Vespa LX 125 Design and Style
‘Fashion Unchanged’ that’s how Vespa is being promoted and its quite true in its own terms. Undoubtedly, the biggest USP of this scooter is its retro looking which is very distinctive. Vespa is known for its monocoque design which is a prominent characteristic of this scooter and here also we get to see the all steel body in a single piece having bright and shining paint on it. There is a lot of chrome on it enhancing the beauty of this Italian piece. It’s quite simple in terms of designing but looks very elegant especially from its front; thanks to its round shaped headlight and rear view mirrors which have chrome finishing on them. Front mudguard has a chrome bar on it which makes it look premium. Rear profile also sports a bit of chrome around its small tail light and just below it with a noticeable round shaped grab rail which is very unique. It uses clear lens in built turn indicators at its front and at its back with sharp lines on its side panels.
- Unveiled at the 2012 Auto Expo in New Delhi
- Launched on 26th April, 2012
- Priced at Rs. 59,661.00 (ex-showroom Maharashtra)
- Assembled in India, powered by a 125cc engine
- Maximum power is 10.06 Bhp at 7500 rpm
- Maximum torque is 10.6 Nm at 6000 rpm
- Available in six very attractive bright shades
- Some of the parts will be imported from Vietnam
Instrument Console of Piaggio Vespa LX 125
The instrument console of Vespa LX 125 is also simple yet stylish with usage of white and carbon color. Speedometer, odometer and fuel gauge is analogue with a digital clock with buttons to set the time which is a welcome feature.
Engine and Gearbox of Piaggio Vespa LX 125
- Powered by a 125cc engine
- Maximum power is 10.06 Bhp
- Maximum torque is 10.6 Nm
The 125cc engine used in Vespa breathes out via 3 valves. It is a single cylinder, air-cooled, 4-stroke engine which churns out a maximum power and torque output of 10.06 bhp and 10.6 Nm at 7500 and 6000 rpm respectively. It uses continuous variable transmission which is suitable for gearless scooters.
Acceleration and Top Speed
This engine is butter smooth to drive. It may not be the fastest in its segment but once it start going, it keeps on going really well. There is ample amount of torque which keeps it moving easily through city traffic. Once you pass the initial phase then you can experience the power of this 125cc engine. Noise and vibrations are very minimal on high speeds. It will take you around 10 seconds to reach 60km/hour from standstill and soon you will find yourself near to 90km/hr. Refinement level is quite satisfactory and even after weighing around 114kgs due to its steel body it still manages to maintain a good power to weight ratio.
Piaggio Vespa LX 125 Mileage
Piaggio Vespa LX 125 manages to give better fuel efficiency than most of the scooters available in India. In city conditions it may give you a mileage of around 40-42km/ltr which will increase on long runs. Numbers are quite impressive for this capacity of engine.
Comfort While Driving Piaggio Vespa LX 125
Seat of Vespa is relatively short and you may find yourself a bit uncomfortable with an adult passenger. However it’s very comfortable to sit and provides optimum comfort. You will miss the flat floor board on it but it doesn't affect the legroom. Handle bar is nicely design and feels easy to use. Buttons are nicely integrated in the handle with a premium touch which is easy to operate and you get a clear view of the instrument panel.
Safety features and Storage Space
The solid steel body provides better safety than others at the time of collision. It has a big, inbuilt lockable glove box which is very handy and a roomy under seat storage space. Bag hook is just above the floor board to carry essentials.
Piaggio Vespa LX 125 Suspension and Braking
The single side shock absorber at its front also looks retro with a bit usage of chrome around it. There is mono shock absorber at its back and surprisingly even after a seating of two, it gives you a very comfy ride in comparison to those scooters which uses telescopic front forks. It digests most of the bumps quite easily and works effectively. Both wheels are equipped with drum brakes. You won’t complain about its rear brake but its 150mm drum brake at its front is a matter of concern as it doesn't work instantly and you feel the need of a disk brake to stop this scooter accurately.
Ride and Handling
Vespa LX 125 has a very light handling which is very efficient in city traffic. The ride quality is also superior to many scooters. The riding stance is very comfortable which is perfect for short and long rides. Handle is placed really well and once you get a hold of it, Vespa is fun to drive. With a wheelbase of 1290mm, it feels very stable around corners and high speeds. The handle responses really well and boosts your confidence while driving it. Vespa stays grounded most of the times and feels perfectly tuned for Indian roads.
Piaggio Vespa features 10 inch, 3-spoke alloy wheels which look very premium on this Italian scooter. The R10 size of nylogrip tyres holds the road really well.
Main Technical Highlights of Piaggio Vespa LX 125
- 3 Valves with Aluminium cylinder head, Overhead cam & Roller rocker arms, MAP sensing & Variable Spark Timing Management for high engine efficiency
- Monocoque full steel body construction - Single piece steel body construction unique only to the Vespa
- Single sided trailing arm Front suspension with Antidive characteristics, Dual effect hydraulic shock absorber Rear Suspension
- 3 Phase electrical system, The crystal clear high illumination high mounted headlight offer clear road visibility in the night
- Nylogrip tyres offers great road grip on Indian road conditions, better stability on wet roads, better braking performance and higher life
- Bigger brakes for effective braking, 150 mm Front brake dia and 140 mm Rear brake dia coupled with Self aligning Front brakes
- The Link spring mechanism between the engine and frame provides amazing balancing. It has been engineered for excellent balance of Mechanical trail and the Stabilizing torque offers Low speed balancing, Accurate steering and High speed stability
- Electronic clock along with Dials in the Cluster provides required information all the time
Piaggio Vespa LX 125 is available in six attractive shades:
- Nero Volcano (Black)
- Monte Bianco (White)
- Rosso Dragon (Red)
- Giallo Lime (Yellow)
- Midnight Blue
- Rosso Chainto (Dark Maroon)
Price of Piaggio Vespa LX 125
- Rs. 59,661.00 (ex-showroom Mumbai)
Piaggio has priced Vespa LX 125 on the higher side at Rs. 59,661 (ex-showroom Mumbai). Piaggio says premium product premium pricing.
Some things look expensive at an economical price but that’s not the case with Vespa; it is as expensive as it looks. At this price it has no competition with anyone as it costs around 15K more than other scooters. It’s specially crafted for those who want exclusivity and are ready to pay more to get the attention of others. There are also other qualities like its performance, fuel efficiency and comfort which try to justify its pricing. We are sure it will appeal to our youth as it is something new in the crowd but the daily commuters may not find it a complete value for money scooter as it’s surely not priced for the masses.